Road Design, Operations and Maintenance
Even when designed, operated and maintained “by the book,” the road may have had a greater hand in an accident than appears – even to a seasoned investigator’s eye.
The interplay between the road, vehicles, drivers and the law can be far more complex than typically imagined. New recovery opportunities beckon astute claims professionals.
Courts recognize that road user safety is not ensured by reliance on the design manuals and standards of the day alone. Road owners face increased exposure if they forego substantive safety reviews or overlook human factors and road user expectations.
Simply finding a defect in road design at a collision site is not enough for fault. You have to prove the causal connection – or not. That’s where deeply specialized knowledge and vast experience make the difference.
Giffin Koerth’s exceptional team is available for risk assessment for road owners and causal analysis for legal and claims professionals in the areas of:
• Road and intersection design
• Human factors and positive guidance
• Roadway signing and markings
• Traffic signal operations
• Pedestrian guidance, facilities and operations
• Transit system design operations and access
• Roadside safety, hazard delineation and protection
• Illumination and nighttime visibility
To get the road right, contact Russell Brownlee at 416.368.1700.